Language learning provides and opening to new cultures, people and understandings of the world. It is all about developing an international outlook and growing into an enhanced understanding of the world. At Preshute we intend to inspire pupils to develop a love of languages as they learn to understand and express themselves with increasing confidence in French. Our teaching will enable pupils to express their own ideas and begin to respond to French speakers.
We encourage pupils to develop a deep interest in and appreciation for other cultures, developing their sense of belonging to the wider world. Hence allowing them to embark on a journey towards a wealth of opportunities in their future lives.
In line with the National Curriculum, we ensure that children are given the opportunity to:
- Understand and respond to spoken and written language
- speak with increasing confidence and fluency
- Listen to and join in with French songs and rhymes
- Write at varying length, discussing differences in how the written French language looks compared to our own
- using a variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
Language teaching in primary school provides a foundation for learning further languages, allowing them to spot similarities in languages across the globe. Through their exposure to written and spoken French, the children will be opened to opportunities to communicate with French speakers for practical purposes and can equip them to study or live in other countries in the future.